Thursday, December 20, 2007

For those who suffer from postpartum depression: You're almost home

Congress is just about ready to take a giant leap in the world of postpartum depression treatment.

Sen. Robert Menendez and Congressman Bobby L. Rush are finalizing postpartum-depression treatment and education legislation for its anticipated victory in the U.S. Congress.

The new name of the legislation will be "The Melanie Blocker Stokes Mom’s Opportunity to Access Help, Education, Research and Support for Postpartum Depression Act." The lawmakers want to honor the substantial contributions each has made to this issue and continue to remember the woman - Melanie Blocker Stokes - who has become a symbol of the illness.

Blocker-Stokes was a Chicago native and pharmaceutical sales manager who, after the birth of her daughter, developed a psychosis that ultimately caused her to jump from a 12-story window ledge to her death on June 11, 2001.

The bill, if enacted, would require the secretary of Health and Human Services to expand and intensify research activities regarding postpartum depression and psychosis. The bill would also require additional support for basic and clinical research, epidemiological studies, diagnostic techniques and educational programs.

It is expected the bill will pass in early spring or possibly sooner once Congress reconvenes. It appears that Democratic support is substantial, but there are still some Republicans who need some convincing.

"I assured our legislators that we will be ready to do whatever it takes - writing, blogging, calling, adding our voices, spirit and energy to help achieve this historic victory for America's mothers and children," said Susan Dowd Stone, president of Postpartum Support International.

"Julia," by the Beatles
(A song that John Lennon dedicated to his mother)
Half of what I say is meaningless
But I say it just to reach you,
Julia

Julia, Julia, oceanchild, calls me
So I sing a song of love, Julia
Julia, seashell eyes, windy smile, calls me
So I sing a song of love, Julia

Her hair of floating sky is shimmering, glimmering,
In the sun

Julia, Julia, morning moon, touch me
So I sing a song of love, Julia

When I cannot sing my heart
I can only speak my mind, Julia

Julia, sleeping sand, silent cloud, touch me
So I sing a song of love, Julia
Hum hum hum...calls me
So I sing a song of love for Julia, Julia, Julia

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Thank you for helping to spread awareness of this very important legislation! I'm a first time visitor to your blog and I really like the work you've done so far. I was referred to it by a board member of PSI. Keep up the good work!
Warm regards,
Kristin Davis Park
http://ppdsurvivor.blogspot.com