Friday, December 14, 2007

Beware of parents who manipulate, and then alienate

Ever hear of children who are manipulated by one parent to turn against the other?

Some children figure it out and reconcile and with their "lost" parent. Many, however, don't.

"Parental alienation syndrome occurs when a parent emotionally manipulates a child into turning against his or her other parent, in the absence of abuse or neglect," says Dr. Amy J.L. Baker.

That's why Baker has written "Adult Children of Parental Alienation Syndrome: Breaking the Ties that Bind," because it presents what has become a growing problem not only in families that are suffering from divorce, but also those that manage to stay together.

The book "describes the 11 different catalysts to having the realization that one was a victim of parental alienation, [and] describes the long-term effects of parental alienation syndrome," she said.

The book is based on research interviews with 40 adults who were alienated from a parent as a child, according to Baker's website, http://www.amyjlbaker.com.

Baker is a nationally recognized expert in parent-child relationships - especially children of divorce, parental alienation syndrome, and emotional abuse of children.

The book describes the three different familial contexts where parental alienation can occur, and explores the ways in which parental personality disorders provides the psychic foundation for alienation, Baker said.

It also compares PAS to emotional abuse of children, and compares alienating parents to cult leaders who use the same thought reform and emotional manipulation techniques.

The book is written for both parents and the mental health professionals working with adult children of parental alienation syndrome, as well as currently alienated children, Baker said.

"The book offers insight into this experience from the perspective of the children who lived through it and offers hope to parents worried about losing their children to this tragic and painful experience," Baker said.

"Adult children of parental alienation syndrome: Breaking the ties that bind," was published by W.W. Norton in April 2007 and is available in some bookstores and on Amazon.

7 comments:

Zoey said...

I came accross your blog today in my Google Alerts on Parent Alienation (P.A.).

First, I'd like to say, the more people understand that P.A. is about manipulation/control and serious personality disorders the faster we can get it into the DSM and get these kids the help they so desperately need.

P.A. is abuse period end of story!

Second, I've added a link to this blog on my Disgusted With The System blog, thank you this blog has some great stuff on it.

Louise

Anonymous said...

What about Parental Alienation being inflicked on adult children -ages 24-35? Is there research on this topic.

Anonymous said...

Is my grand-daughter being manipulate? She is 14yrs old and living with another family calling this family her new mom and brothers and sisters. She refuses to come home, has asked her mom for money to fund her activities. Has used her moms home as a hotel but when mom put her foot down. She ran away to this family and wont reurnt. This other parent says 'its nothing to do with her' My g/d is now lieing and making exuses not to even visit us. I use to be very close to her but now feel she is ailienating me. This other parent wont even communicate with us at all nor does she attend meetings at school with local authority. My alarms bells are going off in my head. As we know they have parties with alcohol and drugs. There are even over 18yr olds lads in this family. One of which my g/d admitted she was going out with but says she isnt now. He bought her an i-pod for christmas last year, somthing her own mom could not afford. We are seeing less and less of her as the weeks go by. This has been going on for 7 months now. please can you help us. I am very concerned.

Unknown said...

My ex took my son from me when he was 5 never saw the kid are talked to him before that now has him and with in a month had him calling his wife mommy and pushing me out of his life what can I do to show it in court is he manipulating my son is it illegal? some help I want my baby home with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

that is a very scary thing. i have been homeschooling my kids but as a singe parent, i have been leaving them with their aunt who i am not so close with. i hope that wont ever happen to us.

Elisa Ynarez said...

same with anonymous, i have been homeschooling my daughters. we are having a hard time with my partner now he spends more time with my daughters. i wish i can look for a near workplace so i can also spend quality time with them. i badly hope that wont ever happen to me.


@ anonymous
www.homeschoolr.com is a new site for homeschoolers. i have been checking with this site. i hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I know all to well about this. My brother does this with his daughter. She has been sexually abused by her sibling since she was 8 years old, when she told her father about it he acted as if it were never even said. He has her telling lies to the courts.I am in SHOCK.