Tuesday, December 20, 2011

So why am I creating all these lists? Because every book - particularly in mental health - needs a boost

Publicity budgets have been slashed. Agents and publicists find themselves either overloaded with work, or they narrow their focus so small, because they have to do so much with so little.


Nevertheless, I'm proud of what we've been able to accomplish with A Legacy of Madness: Recovering My Family From Generations of Mental Illness. I knew it would be an uphill battle. But I also knew that it would take a little creative thought to push a product that has been operating on the so-called "shoestring budget."

I also knew that more than money was necessary in order to preserve the book's core principles (as well as my own).

I never intended for this to be a best-seller. If I had, I would have pushed the envelope toward the Random House's of the world. The bigger agents and publishing outfits wanted me to reveal more about myself, and my family. I didn't want to do it.

When I went to graduate school, I learned the ways of the web. The way to get on the web is to write, post and link.


1 comment:

Noch Noch said...

I would love to have a book published too.... maybe publishing world is not really for me though