Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Man from Glad, Part II

Below is a video that shows where my journalism career essentially began, but also the moment I took my very first big career risk.

The 1985 interview is with the former governor of New Jersey, Thomas H. Kean, who later became the chairman of the 9/11 Commission. I did it with my friend, Bill Borden, whom I just profiled in this space (see The Man From Glad, which was posted on Dec. 30).

We served as co-editors of the Point Pleasant, N.J. High School newspaper, The Panther Print. Everything went well when Bill and I worked together - even though I was struggling to hide a perpetual giggle throughout the taping.

Just before the taping, I took the daring step of asking the governor to endorse my National Honor Society application. I had been rejected twice before, and I felt I deserved the recognition. Back then, I was a bit of a conspiracy theorist, and I was convinced that certain teachers who didn't like my opinionated ways were working against me.

I was told that anyone could sign the application - which I kept folded in my pocket - as a way of showing support for the candidate. En route to the taping in Asbury Park, N.J., I thought, "Why not Kean?"

I remember the strange look on Kean's face when I asked for it, and handed him the crumpled piece of paper. Bill broke out into full-scale laughter, especially when Kean unfolded the paper and looked very puzzled.

Kean looked at it, showing the same scrutiny he later had when he studied documents from the Bush administration during 9/11 Commission meetings. Then he smiled, and signed it. "As long as I don't get anything in the mail," Kean joked.

After that, the producers of the local cable show had to retake the beginning part of the show three times. Bill and I couldn't stop laughing.

Later, I'll never forget the surprised look on the faces of the teachers who were on the committee that chose honor society members. "Do you want to save a copy?" they asked me. "Nah," I said. That was, perhaps, my earliest attempt to show independence and objectivity as a reporter.

I later got into the National Honor Society, but I credit Bill. I don't think I would have taken that step of getting Kean to sign a crumpled piece of paper if Bill had not encouraged me to take risks, and move out of my shell of shyness.

Shorter youtube version:



Longer blip.tv version:

No comments: