Wednesday, April 8, 2009

In search of John Clear

About a year ago, I got a call from a man with a deep, husky voice.

"Tom!" he said. "This is John Clear!"

I thought it was a joke, but not a fake joke. I thought it was John just being funny again.

"Everything's different for me now," he said. "I'm turning things around."

I remembered this small kid with beach-blonde hair whose speech didn't match this trucker voice. I remembered this kid who couldn't utter a sentence without telling a joke - and every time, he was funny.

I remembered a kid whose voice was like his name - clear, not the throaty kind you get when spend a lot of time gaining street cred in a state prison cell block.

I remembered him as the funniest person I knew. I think everything I learned about being funny, I learned from John Clear. At dinner with the family, I'd repeat things he said or did, and even my straight-as-an-arrow father would laugh. "I think John Clear is my kind of guy," he'd say.

It wasn't always what he said that was funny. It was the goofy context. "Hey Tom, did you ever shave your face with a lawnmower?"

I would laugh; he wouldn't. He said it as a straight, serious statement, even if it was utterly ridiculous. If he laughed at it, he'd cheapen it, as if he was trying too sell it, and beg for affirmation. He was too smart to ruin it.

John never had to beg for affection. It came naturally. But life has ironies: Of all the people from my 1985 graduating class at Point Pleasant Borough High School in New Jersey, few have had it harder.

He fell into a world of drugs and hardship that can destroy a life, and destroy the soul. In that world, the person you knew long ago often disappears. The person who was always funny was now a straight man on the street talking about recovery but showing his pain.

The man who called me last year was, in a way, begging. He was as desperate as he was hopeful. He wanted me to write about him, and tell his story about how he was trying to win custody of his kids. He wanted me to write about people who spent time in state prison with him, and how they were getting screwed and mistreated by the state.

I wanted to do what he wanted. But I got busy, and I let it go. I'm sorry, John.

I'm finally writing about him now, but not because of what happened to him. He just seems to have disappeared, at least from my life. I called his cell; it was disconnected. I called his dad - no answer, no reply. I emailed; it bounced back.

Hopefully, somebody who knows where he is can see this, and can let me know how he's doing.

I want to write about John because he could have been any one of us. And, because of hardships in my own family, I could have been him. If possible, I want to help him find the person he was. He doesn't have to be funny. I'd just like to see him return to being the kind of guy who made everybody who knew him better.

John had fallen into heroin addiction. He was nailed for impersonating a police officer, or something like that. He was in state prison, and he was photographed. His mug was on the Internet; the big white smile with the small fangs was gone. The blonde hair was reduced to a receding hairline and stubble. His look was dark, and his frown was deep.

John had married right out of school, and had kids. Family strife, drugs and God knows what else brought the marriage down, and him with it.

A support system, one rooted in family, didn't exist: His mother died; his father long was estranged from him.

After graduation, he called me a few times, and actually wanted to hang out. But his drug-addled life was too hardcore for me.

I roomed with him and another buddy, Ken Winne, on the senior trip. That's when I first noticed the funny guy I knew slipping away. John was more interested in scoring something than he was entertaining others.

I used to hang out with these guys, and do stupid but small stuff for kicks. There was no Wii, not even Atari at the time, so you had to make your own fun.

I was with John the day the Jamesway department store opened in Point Pleasant in the spring of 1980 (it closed in 1995). John was pulling Hot Wheels cars out of their packages and running them under the clothing racks. I was his nerdy alter-ego, so my nervous reaction was probably funnier than his.

I kept trying to stop them with my feet, but John had me beat. He unwrapped nearly ever car that was hanging in the racks, each packaged neatly. Then he turned the floor into LeMans, and turned me into a dancing monkey.

One car made it all the way to the cash register. I leaned down, picked up the car and looked up. My Sunday School teacher, Mrs. Gilbert, was standing there, glaring at me and shaking her head. "Oh, shit!" I said, right in front of her. Then I took off and hid in the clothing racks, peeping through a rack of blouses until she walked away.

At school, we drove Miss Mason crazy, the Point Pleasant Boro employee posing as a music teacher. We always had some quick answer for her erratic behavior. It was a coming-out moment for me, compelled by John's humor and his daring to make you go over the edge.

Once, he and I pretended to be John Travolta when we were supposed to be square-dancing. "Stay-in alive! Stay-in alive!" we sang while Miss Mason played country-western. She got so fed up, she grabbed my hair and threw me out in the hallway. I turned quickly toward John, who flashed his white-as-nails smile.

That was back when John was good at getting out of trouble. After he left high school, his support system was gone, and so was John.

On that day, in January 2008, hearing him was the surprise. Hearing from him was not. John had been trying to reach me for years. He heard I was visiting prisons, and writing about people who do drugs to self-medicate from mental illness. I was trying to explore the history of my family, and how mental illness was pervasive with every generation.

He knew my mother, because my mother sold Avon to his mother. He knew my mother died after she was overwhelmed by the effects of obsessive compulsive disorder.

In 2005, he was in state prison. At the time, I was writing stories on the prison system, and I knew my way around. I sent him a picture of our 20-year class reunion in 1985, as well as a story I wrote on my mother. "That made my year," John told me over the telephone.

When he returned to life after his prison stint more than a year ago, he called me to reminisce about the Mets, about being a Republican (my card-carrying membership for that party expired about 1992). He then sent me court documents related to custody cases with his children.

John was taking responsibility for himself. I felt good. Maybe what I sent him in prison helped bring him back. If you give a man rope, 10 times out of 10, he's going to grab it.

Now I'm trying again.

8 comments:

NinaAClear said...

I wanted to let you know your article is amazing. This is his youngest daughter Nina Clear. I would love to talk to you about my father sometime, since you know his as well as I do. Your article brought tears to my eyes that no one has ever been able to do but him. If you ever want to contact me e-mail me at xninaxninjax@aim.com. We will conversate from there.
Thank you,
Nina A. Clear

christine frusco said...

My nane is Christine Frusco, I am the first ex-wife of John Clear. I have a few comments to make reguarding the validity of your article. The photos that you display are of a child, not the adult John Clear!
John and I were not married right out of highschool, John was 22 and I 20. John developed a drug problem sometime around 1999, shortly after having an ear surgery. John would doctor shop for perscription medications on a regular basis. I would catch him frequently and put and end to the abuse for a period of time until he fouud a new avenue to obtain his drugs. John did not start abusing drugs because of household or financial stress, John and I made a good living. John worked in sales and I am a nurse.
John and I seperated in may of 2002 and subsequently divorced in Dec 2002. His youngest daughter has not seen her father since she was 11, and the oldest has not seen him outside of prison since she was 14.
John clear is not permitted to be in the same room with thier father unless it is supervised by the state of New Jersey.There are many reasons for the resrictions mandated by the courts,however I am not going to release that information to the pulic. John can never have cutody of his children or any other children for that matter!!!
Prior to feeling sorry for John, you should understand that he is a drug adict,thief,and abuser.

Sincerely;
Christine T Frusco

Anonymous said...

Tom,

You are a true friend and I thank you for your continued friendship. My addiction has led me to many dark and desperate times, and I am paying the price for it to date.
Countless county jail sentences, state prison, rehabs, detoxes, etc. I am now on drug court as the result of my being involved in bank robbery and multiple theft charges.

I sat in the county jail for a year and was looking at a 15yr.w\85% minimum sentence. Drug court has given me a chance, which I am making the most of. I completed Discovery House, a 6 month rehab, and am completing a halfway house within the next week and moving on with my new found life in recovery. I have been clean now 17 months!

Just to clear (no pun intended) up a few things my ex stated. First of all, her history of my drug abuse is for the most part accurate. What really bothers me about her response to your article is her refusal to accept responsibility of her own failures as a parent. My abuse of drugs negatively impacted my relationship with both Chelsea and Nina. I was granted custody of both of my daughters, but signed custody over to their mother as the result of a failed drug test. I soon after went to prison, and Christine moved to South Carolina before I was released from prison in 2007. As a condition of my parole, I couldn't leave New Jersey.

I do not need any supervision to be around my kids, who are 21 and 19 now(God I'm getting old) or for that matter did I ever. I did requie supervised visitation with them after my dirty urine only until I completed a drug program, which I never got the chance to because I went to prison.

I am amazed at how you still try and mince words and try and make yourself look better Christine. Other than my two beautiful daughters, I got nothing out of you! Heard of karma? Its a bitch, and so are you.

Thanks again Tom. Call me soon.

John

John.clear@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

hello iI am karen and am christines sister. SHE LEFT OUT A FEW THINGS ABOUT HERSELF. USED DRUGS ALSO WITH JOHN. mAYBE NOT AS BAD,BUT SHE HAS MAJOR PROBLEMS. sHE HAS CHECKED HERSELF INTO MENTAL HOSPITALS TOLD ME SHE FATHERED HER OWN CHILDREN,BECAUSE THEY LOST HER FILES AFTER 15 YEARS FOR A KIDNEY OPERATION. sHE WILL NOT SPEAK TO ME AND I DO NOT EVEN KNOW WHY. sO MUCHMORE TO THE STORY. jOHN IS NOT A BAD MAN JUST HAS AN ADDICTION.hE WAS A GREAT FATHER,BUT ALL THE THINGS WRONG ARE NOT ALL HIS FAULT.SHE HAS COMPLETELY LOST IT. THE LAST TIME I SPOKE TO HER SHE WANTED TO COME SEE ME WITH MY YOUNGER NIECE IN FT MYERS . SHE WAS LIVING OFF MY GRANDMOTHER AND ACTUALLY ATTACKED HER AND CHOKED HER. tHAT WAS LAST TIMR I SPOKE WITH HER. aFTER THAT SHE AND HER NEW BOYFRIEND CALLED MY 86 YEAR OLD GRANDMOTHER AT 2AM CALLING ME NAMES HER NAMES AND MY FIANCE NAMES. I CANT EVEN GO ANY FURTHUR TO MUCH IT GETS SICKENING

Anonymous said...

Just to state the facts John is a drug addict. My sister is an ex stripper.That pretty much makes me the only one in this that can hold a job and doesnt have a criminal record. And as far as living off my Grandmother thats very funny,as a single mother with two kids and NO support what so ever from there father at times I have needed help. Whats your reason Karen, boobs not big enough? I'm done with this, post what ever you want John will always be the victim in his mind and Karen, most people can't understand what your tring to say with all the mis spelled words anyway.

Anonymous said...

This is funny. First of all my computer keys are screwed up. So when a letter is missing its because i am typing and not looking. This is for my sister who needs her meds again most likely! It is very funny she brings up I was a gogo dancer in nj not a stripper. She also forgot to add she wanted to try dancing and came to work with me at a bar in nj untouchables and got on the stage and danced. As of all the comments this is not about her and i its on here for john. She is asking if my boobsare big enough. Little bit sad she doesnt look like me. And she did plenty of drugs also. I would hate to need medication,but if i did i would take it. Thats my advice to her. She has lost plenty of jobs and had plenty of help along her road to crazyland. She lived off our grandma and stole from her and choked her. She sure an hell should not be working around anyone. Oh and the hatred she hasfor people wich includes me i have no idea what i ever did to her. She sits around and thinks of reasons to be mad because she is miserable. All i have to say is get a life. You think john has problems. Look in the mirror you told me you used to havemale organs

Anonymous said...

God Bless everyone involved. I hope everyone gets the healing they so desire or so need. This is a sad story, with the potential for a happy and successful ending. Drug addicition is not curable but it can be put into remission just like cancer. Children are the foundation and future of this world, and family should be prioritezed and the most important. Maybe just maybe things will get better. Great Blog.

Anonymous said...

Wow...addiction really is a family disease.My name is Cheryl and I am John's current wife.I need to respond to the comments made about John. John,like myself, and millions of other people suffer from the disease of addiction.The only thing that matters here is that John finally made the decision to do something about his problem. John desperately wants to repair his relationship with his children, which was severed ONLY because of his drug use.He cannot change the past, but is doing everything in his power to insure he has a promising future. Today, John is an amazing husband and an honest man. I am friendly with his 2nd ex-wife and talk occasionally to one of his daughters. I feel sorry for those still stuck in the past!!!