Monday, August 11, 2008

When all else fails, carry on

A friend recently sent me this picture from September 1988.....I'm sitting in my college newspaper office, dealing with what was perhaps the most impossible job of my life.

The managing editor shoved our newsroom into a small closet-like space, and moved the business office into the more spacious, main office area. He erected Berlin Wall-sized cubicles supposedly to help protect our privacy.

(Editor's note: Now that I'm a member of the newspaper's board of trustees, I recently helped lead the effort to knock down the cubicles and move the newsroom out of there).

Anyway, during that time, various things helped pull me through....but what served as a spiritual springboard for me - more than anything else - were songs. If it's true that songs serve as the soundtracks of our lives, than none served me better than this one:

Carry On/Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

One morning I woke up and I knew
You were really gone
A new day, a new way, and new eyes
To see the dawn.
Go your way, I'll go mine and
Carry on

The sky is clearing and the night
Has cried enough
The sun, he come, the world
to soften up
Rejoice, rejoice, we have no choice but
To carry on

The fortunes of fables are able
To see the dawn
Now witness the quickness with which
We get along
To sing the blues you've got to live the tunes and
Carry on

Carry on
Love is coming
Love is coming to us all


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beautiful song indeed....